Gamefishing and scooter tour

7 January 2013

It was a very special day today as after 10 days in hospital I finally got discharged. I had lost 4kg and I wasn’t the best on my feet but I was more than happy to say goodbye to the doctors and nurses. We jumped straight in a car and headed to Paradise Lake to catch some giant Mekong catfish. When the Mekong catfish became threatened in the wild they decided to make these artificial lakes throughout Thailand and release these giant catfish in these sanctuaries.

We had a day on scooters doing the Mao rim loop. There were heaps of stops, shows viewpoints, restaurants. We stopped at a cobra farm and insect museum.

We had the mad rush getting on the train but made it with a minute to spare before it took us overnight to Bangkok. Weird set up but I had a great sleep.


Gamefishing for Mekong catfish

We had a great afternoon catching some giant fish. Glenn catches a small Mekong catfish


Karen pulling in a big fish. They make a large bread ball around the hook that your cast as far as possible. When the catfish come along they suck in the entire ball in.


The largest fish I caught was 25kg


Karen got the biggest at 30kg


Reeling in a big one. There must be thousands of fish as there wasn’t much time we didn’t have a fish on.


Letting it go


I missed out on lighting lanterns on New Years so I had a go tonight


Take off


There was a big crowd watching us let them go


Mao rim loop scooter tour

The police were out fundraising and Glenn got hit up with a fine for having no licence.


We went to the snake farm where we got to hold some pythons


This one started sliding down my back.


In this enclosure there was a tree covered in snakes


They had a snake show where they milked the venon from a cobra. It was sad to see them winding up the snakes to get them to strike.


We stopped at the Siam insect zoo


These cocoons were for the giant Atlas moths


I brought a few insects from their collection as I was here at the wrong time of year to find any myself.


View point along one of the rural roads



The night train to Bangkok was a great way to travel. There were fold up beds on the top and the bottom seat turned into another bed.


Arriving into bangkok in the early hours of the morning.

No comments: