Chiang Mai

27 December 2012 to 6 January 2013

I survived the flight to Chiang Mai and arrived at the hospital in a real bad state with a temperature of 39.9C. Tests revealed pneumonia, hepatitis in my liver but their tests showed no dengue fever and they believed I had severe typhoid. After heaps of tests and treatments they finally found the Malaria. I responded immediately to the drugs and I was ready to leave after 2 days.

Karne and Glenn made the most of their time in Chiang Mai and visited all the sights.

Karen and Glenn have been really patient and supportive and I know they are itching to get on with our travels having been stuck in Chiang Mai for so long now. I can’t wait to explore the rest of Thailand : )


I was admitted straight into hospital when we arrived at Chiang Mai


My hospital room at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital was my home for 10 days. Glenn and Karen liked visiting as it was a lot nicer than their hostel.


Karen and Glenn visit the Chiang Mai zoo. They said the baby elephant and pandas were awesome but everything else was run down.


Panda bears


Karen and Glenn did a day cooking class where they learnt how to make a whole lot of thai food. They went to the markets to get some food and it was all go. This is Karen making some curry paste


Chicken dish


Glenn cooking up a stir fry


Fried banana in palm sugar


Some yummy food they made


Karen and Glenn spent new years by the moat on the outer city walls lighting lanterns


As you can see they were massive. You have to light the cardboard/paper burner at the bottom and sit it one the ground to get all the air warm inside then hold it up until it can take off without the support of your hand.


There were fireworks and lanterns everywhere


Luckily I had a great view of the city from my hospital room for New Years. There were thousands of lanterns going off into the air and amazing fireworks displays around the city.


Karen and Glenn did a zip line tour






The old town wall makes up a km by km square around the centre of the city.


Chiang Mai by Night


Night markets


Karen and Glenn got their portraits done at the markets


Glenns one looked exactly like him


Passing time with some t.v


It took awhile but they finally found Plasmodium falciparum malaria in my blood. This is the worst type that causes all the dealths.


I had to take this meal of pills 3x a day for 3 days and the malaria was all gone.

No comments: