Day 11 - Antarctica at Last

28 January 2014

This morning with no pack ice or icebergs it feels like we are almost going away from Antarctica. The only thing that feels like we are infact in Antartic waters and the huge number of Antarctic Petrel and Snow Petrel which follow alongside the boat. I even spotted a few Adelie penguins porpoising out the side of the boat – NEW PENGUIN SPECIES.

As we approached Cape Adare our plans to land were postponed with severe wind in the next 2 days and swell so we continued south. At lunch we came across a lone iceberg where Antarctic Petrels were resting.

At 30 miles off the coast of Cape Adare I was on deck hoping for a glimpse of land as the visibility cleared up with some blue sky and sun. I had my binoculars at and trying to see the edge of the glacier/land. Then out of the cloud way above where I expected to see land the shape of a giant mountain appeared with big glaciers and peaks. I could not believe it at first because of the grand size but someone on the bridge confirmed I was right. This was our first glimpse of Antarctica and what a site. We were looking at Mount Sabine at 3720m high about 34 nautical miles away. Slowly the Possession Islands uncovered themselves surrounded by icebergs and massive glaciers on the big white continent.
For some reason I almost expected Antarctica to be flat but Antarctica is infact the highest continent in the world. These huge mountains, peaks and glaciers have blown me away.

The captain headed for Cape Hallett in the hope that we could land. I popped down for a shower and at 11pm I looked out our window and saw we were getting closer so ran to the bridge where this magical scene awaited me as we arrived to the cape. The sun low on the horizon shining over greasy ice (second stage of ice freezing) in calm waters with pack ice built up blown in by easterly winds and surrounded by icebergs it was spectacular – I love this place. The captain didn’t want to take any risk trying to land at the cape so we continued heading south.


I spot my first Adelie penguin propoising alongside the boat

I saw several huge flocks of Antarctic petrels, more and more as we get closer to Antarctica

Snow petrel

Bird watching out on deck

My first glimpse of Antarctia

As I spot Antarctica this big storm front followed behind us making a landing at Cape Adare impossible.

Giant Glacier near Possession Islands

Possession Islands

A large glacier as we pass the Possession Islands

Russian crew cleaning the salt of the windows of the bridge

Arriving at Cape Hallet

Grease ice

Cape Hallet packed in with pack ice.

With no landing possible at Cape Hallett we keep travelling south

The point where the grease ice stops.

At 12.30am just past midnight I hit the sack with the sun still shining strong above the horizon.

No comments: